Friday, February 13, 2009

Two Charades, one stage

"You know, I guess things aren't so bad," Harry said as he stared at the frothy top of his glass. He dipped his index finger into the froth and blew it off. "We're talking to each other, we're not arguing.." his voice trailed off. He took a swig of the lager and placed the pint mug with a heavy "thunk!" on the wooden bar top.
"It is rather frustrating to sit next to her, listening to her go on and on about her day; when deep inside I've waited all day for someone to talk to. But I guess", he continued, "she's had a long day too, and if not to me, who else could she be getting all this off her chest with?"
He listened to Harry, and nodded in agreement. His thoughts wandered to his own life.
"Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I'd put my arm around her, and she'd push it away. Its always like that, you know, too tired, not well, not in the mood. And I just feel that maybe I should not be sharing the bed."
He looked at Harry and felt sorry. Clearly the lager was taking its place on his mind. He sighed to himself. How many people talk about their sex lives with total strangers like him? He leaned forward to Harry, "I guess she's not quite your kind of gal, huh? What are you looking for?"
Harry looked at him with a glint in his eye. "Hey, buddy.. Lets not go there. In me is a lifetime of passion and pleasure waiting to be released. Yeah, get me a gal who can go on and on and on and I'll bet I'll still not be satisfied" Harry said, breaking into laughter at his own joke. "How's your sex life like, huh? C'mon, its your turn.."
He shook his head, motioned to the bartender and paid for Harry's drink. He left the smoky bar with the pounding music and the flashing lights. He thrust his hands deep into his pockets, shrugged and walked off into the night. It was a cool night with a light breeze, and the air smelt sweet after sitting in the bar.
He thought of his conversation with Harry. He thought about his own life. Married, leading separate lives, but in the public eye, the couple of the year. Harry's thinking of moving to another bed, but he himself has forgotten what its like to share one. He'd probably gone crazy too, if it wasn't for the fact he met the sweetest thing on the planet. She too in need of a companion, as was he, yet leading separate lives. Two charades, one stage.

No comments: